News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Knaresborough Town 1 Tadcaster Albion 1 Attendance 373 (30.03.24)

Knaresborough Town 1 Tadcaster Albion 1 Attendance 373 (30.03.24)

John Clothier31 Mar - 12:46
Share via

Added Time Equaliser Foils Taddy

The weather had gone from the ridiculous to the sublime overnight with a sunny day for the return fixture with Knaresborough who the Brewers had defeated earlier in the season 3 – 2. Elliot Holmes replaced the suspended Collins and with Joe Crosby still suffering from a pulled hamstring, Jordan Hines was in to lead the attack. New signing from Sheffield FC, Mason Wilson was on the bench.

The hosts had the better of the initial stages, with a real chance on six minutes when Milsom headed over the bar from a dangerous cross from former Brewer Gregg Anderson. Almost immediately Sam Green made the first of several vital saves as another header in the box tested his quick reactions. Ben Parkes tried an audacious thirty-five yarder , watched all the way by the Taddy shot stopper.

The first Albion attack on the quarter hour was pivotal; Josh Hardcastle, on a run down the right, put an inch perfect pass into the six-yard box as Hines raced in to tap the ball home. 0 – 1.

On seventeen minutes Green was floored as he went for a high ball with Gregson and surprisingly the referee did not stop play until the home side’s Edwards had missed the chance to equalise. The Albion keeper was down for three minutes, but thankfully was able to continue.

Parkes was booked for a reckless challenge on Sam Kitchen, whilst Hines collected a yellow just before the half hour mark. Ben Tweed’s effort on 30 minutes was cleared, whilst Oli Norman’s pass to Hines in a dangerous position, saw the shot hit the side netting. Green made another vital save moments later following Cook’s second effort from a free kick. Ingham replaced the injured Parkes on 36 minutes.

With five minutes left of the first half, Hines had another chance as he out jumped keeper Brown in the box but the header lacked power and was cleared
The one goal advantage at the interval was a fair reflection of the half with no quarter given by either team.

On 51 minutes Edwards had a chance to level the game but shot wide . On the hour Taddy had their best chance since the opening goal when Charlie Owen charged down the left and knocked the ball back to Tweed on the edge of the box but the shot was a fraction too high.

On 64 minutes Albion broke quickly from defence - Green to Raeece Ellington who then put Norman through but Gregson forced the Taddy striker wide as his shot hit the side netting.

Ellington and Hines made way for Ibrahimi and Cassius-Gill. Dan Thirkell headed danger away on 73 minutes, whilst Wilson was then on for Owen who seemed to have picked up an injury. The new signing was straight into action putting Tweed away but Norman ,who then received the through ball, was off side. On 81 minutes Hardcastle was so close to a goal with an overhead kick beyond Brown but Anderson cleared off the line.

With Lewis Walters on for Norman, the referee signalled five added minutes. Cook, free in the six-yard box almost found the equaliser but for the save of the day from Green, pushing to ball away for a corner. A lapse of concentration, however, saw the cross find Cook, again unmarked, who headed home . 1- 1.

A disappointing ending to an impressive performance but on the plus side, Tad’s sixth undefeated league game since the end of February.

The Brewers play Maltby Main this coming Tuesday at home Kick Off 7.45, whilst next Saturday they are at home again to play off hopefuls Rossington Main. Kick off 3.00 pm. They end their season on Tuesday 9th April when they play Hallam at the So-Trak Stadium, again a 7.45pm start.

Green, Hardcastle, Owen (Wilson), Thirkell ©, Qualter, Holmes, Kitchen, Tweed, Norman (Walters), Ellington (Ibrahimi), Hines (Cassius-Gill)

Report from John Clothier, Photos Courtesy of Craig Dinsdale

Further reading