Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Tadcaster Albion AFC app


Tadcaster Albion - Match centre

Tadcaster Albion
Marske United
J Lumsden (2', 56')
Full time
C Martin (27')
Sat 23 Feb 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - East Division Attendance 288

REPORT | Lumsden Brace Fires Tad Back Into Play-Offs


Tadcaster Albion recorded successive victories for the first time in 2019 by beating Marske United 2-1 on a sun-kissed afternoon at the i2i Stadium.

Top scorer Joe Lumsden got the Brewers off to a flyer after superbly curling into the net with just two minutes on the clock. The visitors from Redcar deservedly drew level on 27 minutes when a long ball was latched onto by Callum Martin who made no mistake in front of goal.
Nevertheless it was Lumsden and Tadcaster who had the last laugh as his 57th minute strike was enough to take maximum points.

After Morpeth were triumphant at Ossett, the Brewers bounced back into the play-off places in the Evo-Stik East League ahead of the final two months of the season.

Simon Collins handed new loan signing Luke Porritt a full debut on the left-hand side coming in for Jack Walters who was away. The switch saw Chris Howarth revert to full-back with Ellis Barkworth moving to the opposite side.

Taddy have strangely found it tough on their home patch this season winning just a handful of times, but they got off to the perfect possible start in this one opening the scoring inside two minutes. Joe Lumsden picked up the loose ball just inside the penalty box before cutting inside two sky blue shirts and digging out an unstoppable floating effort over the hapless Robert Dean.

As the away side started to gain a foothold in the contest, Albion should have doubled their lead as Pete Davidson played Lumsden clean through on goal with only the keeper to beat but Robert Dean guessed correctly getting down well to his right to push the shot clear. Luke Porritt picked up the rebound and volleyed towards the far corner but Joshua Rowbotham stabbed off the line. Moments later and Marske shot up the other end with Jack Blackford almost getting a clear chance at the back post but Corey Roper stormed on the scene to eliminate the danger.

After a slow start, Marske were growing in confidence as Glen Butterworth saw his power blaster blocked by Paddy Miller before Craig Gott’s firm low strike from distance was well held by Taddy captain Michael Ingham. Albion were struggling to get to grips with their opponents formation, in particularly Jack Blackford who continued to drop into midfield pockets making it difficult for the back four. United threatened again on 22 minutes when Matthew Waters was threaded through down the left-hand side of the penalty area but Ingham was equal to the shot once again.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable contest at the i2i Stadium with both sides giving it their all to try and gain the advantage. Taddy went close to a second goal on 26 minutes when Casey Stewart’s free-kick was met by Harry Coates at the back post but his powerful header was well beaten away by Dean. Less than a minute later and Marske were back on level terms as Robert Dean’s huge punt up-field was misjudged by the Taddy back-line which allowed Callum Martin to emphatically volley the bouncing ball into the back of the net.

Following on from the equaliser, there was a 15 minute spell in which both sides exchanged attacks without any joy. With two minutes to go until the half-time interval, Joe Lumsden went on an extraordinary run starting near the half-way line, he somehow out-powered Martin & Butterworth, jinked inside Andrew May, played a one-two with Stewart before being too strong again in the box but he just couldn’t get his shot away. Marske flew straight up the other end and tested Ingham again with Gott forcing the Norther Irishman to tip over his crossbar.

The visitors carved out the first opening of the second half too as a couple of quick flicks off a throw-in saw Curtis Round racing into the box up the left-hand side but he could only fire into the side-netting with Ellis Barkworth applying serious pressure. Seven minutes into the half and it was Taddy’s turn to try their luck off a throw-in as Lumsden teed up Aiden Savory who’s curling effort from distance crashed off the crossbar.

However the Brewers only had to wait three more minutes to be celebrating a second goal as Joe Lumsden netted his 20th of the season. Casey Stewart’s corner kick was initially cleared but Pete Davidson brilliantly kept alive before Aiden Savory perfectly glanced down for Lumsden who smashed into the bottom corner. Taddy are always a threat from set-pieces and optimism was high again when they won another corner three minutes later. It could have easily resulted in the same outcome too as Casey Stewart delivered right on the money but neither Coates nor Savory could connect with the inviting ball.

Taddy were galvanised after reclaiming the lead and they could have made their day a little easier had they taken a few of their chances. With Lumsden now on a hat-trick, he raced clean through on 66 minutes but a slightly heavy final touch saw his pass intended for Stewart cut out. As Marske switched to a back three to try and get back into the game, this opened the door over the top for Albion another good opportunity came and went. Joe Lumsden was too quick for Andrew May latching onto Howarth’s ball in behind, he then pulled back to Aiden Savory but his eventual shot was well blocked by Butterworth.

Marske turned to substitute Chay Liddle who almost provided the desired impact four minutes after coming off the bench. He played a perfectly in-sync one-two with fellow sub James Fairley unlocking the space inside the box before he slapped the post with a fierce effort. Liam O’Sullivan’s Rory Delap esque long throws were a dangerous weapon for the Seasiders all afternoon but on 78 minutes Albion almost netted a third on the counter-attack. Joe Lumsden was absolutely excellent throughout the match and this sequence epitomised his performance bullying Craig Gott off the ball, running 30 yards before opting to slide Savory in down the right but his strike deflected into the side-netting.

As the contest entered the last 10 minutes, Marske began to throw the kitchen sink at Taddy who were relying on Michael Ingham at times. The TAFC captain made his most impressive save on 81 minutes when he got down fast to expertly push Matthew Waters’ incredibly powerful strike to safety. It was more than just his saves though, coming and towering through the crowd to claim several crossed and set-pieces to really alleviate some pressure on his side. Sticking with the former York City great, he had to be alert four minutes later to keep out Curtis Round’s effort from 22 yards.

With the points almost wrapped up, Lumsden went close to completing his hat-trick two minutes from time as Davidson nodded down for the striker to set his sights but he couldn’t quite find the target on this occasion.

Full-Time: Tadcaster Albion 2-1 Marske United

Tadcaster: Ingham©, Howarth, Barkworth, Roper, Coates, Miller, Stewart (Rose 74), Davidson, Lumsden, Savory, Porritt

Unused: Mycoe, Buckle, Burn

Marske: Dean, Rowbotham (Fairley HT), O’Sullivan, Butterworth, May, Wheatley©, Martin, Gott, Waters, Blackford (Liddle 71), Round

Unused: Hillerby, Brockbank, Watson

Joe Lumsden

Player of the Match

Joe Lumsden

Key moments

Goal Joe Lumsden scores for Tadcaster Albion
Goal Callum Martin scores for Marske United
Goal Joe Lumsden scores for Tadcaster Albion


View 0 new events
90:00 Player of the Match
Joe Lumsden is awarded player of the match for Tadcaster Albion
56:00 Goal 2 - 1
Joe Lumsden scores for Tadcaster Albion
55:00 Assist
Aiden Savory makes an assist for Tadcaster Albion
End of period 1
27:00 Goal 1 - 1
Callum Martin scores for Marske United
2:00 Goal 1 - 0
Joe Lumsden scores for Tadcaster Albion
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Tadcaster Albion
  • Marske United
  • 0
  • Joe Lumsden Goal 2:00'
  • Callum Martin Goal 27:00'
  • Aiden Savory Assist 55:00'
  • Joe Lumsden Goal 56:00'

Team selection

Ingham, Michael Ingham, Michael
Howarth, Chris Howarth, Chris
Coates, Harry Coates, Harry
Porritt, Luke Porritt, Luke
Miller, Paddy Miller, Paddy
Barkworth, Ellis Barkworth, Ellis
Stewart, Casey Stewart, Casey
Davidson, Pete Davidson, Pete
Lumsden, Joe Lumsden, Joe
Savory, Aiden Savory, Aiden
Roper, Corey Roper, Corey
Marske United
  • 1. Robert Dean
  • 2. Joshua Rowbotham
  • 3. Liam O'Sullivan
  • 4. Glen Butterworth
  • 5. Andrew May
  • 6. Adam Wheatley
  • 7. Callum Martin
  • 8. Craig Gott
  • 9. Matthew Waters
  • 10. Jack Blackford
  • 11. Curtis Round
  • 12. David Hillerby
  • 13. Liam Watson
  • 14. Chay Liddle
  • 15. James Fairley
  • 16. Lee Brockbank

League round up

Other East Division results

AFC Mansfield
Morpeth Town
Sheffield FC
Pickering Town
Wisbech Town

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Morpeth Town 38 88
2. Pontefract Collieries 38 76
3. Brighouse Town 38 71
4. Sheffield FC 38 69
5. Ossett United 38 67
6. Tadcaster Albion 38 66
7. Cleethorpes Town 38 64

Team sponsors


Club sponsors