The club is believed to have been formed in 1892 as John Smith’s FC. It wasn’t until 1923 that the Tadcaster Albion name was adopted. In the early years the club played in the local York League. In 1948 Albion won the York League.
Tadcaster Albion, in the early days, played home games on the site of the cricket ground on Station Road, before moving to the Ings ground, near to where the present Samuel Smith Brewery Packaging Block now stands.
Changing facilities were in the town, at the rear of the Falcon Public House on Chapel Street, and it was a common Saturday afternoon sight to see nets, corner flags, buckets, oranges, players and officials trekking through the town.
Down the years the club has played in several leagues. In early times, Barkston Ash and later still the Yorkshire and Northern Counties East Leagues.
Football continued on the Ings ground until 1960, when the club moved 100 yards up river to its present home at the Park.
In 1973 the club joined the Yorkshire League Division 3 and were promoted in 1975 & 1977 to reach Division 1, relegation was to follow in 1979 & 1980.
In 1982-83 they became a founding member of the Northern Counties East League, they remained in Northern Counties East Football League Division One until winning the Division One title in 2009-10.
In their first season, Albion finished fourth in the NCEL Premier Division and won the NCEL President’s Cup, beating Farsley AFC 5-1 in the final.
Northern Counties East Football League Division One:
Northern Counties East Football President’s Cup:
Yorkshire League Divison Two:
Yorkshire League Divison Three:
York Football League:
York Football League Division One:
Champions: 1909-10, 1923-24, 1932-33
Highest Attendance: 1,000 v Winterton Rangers, FA Vase, 1976-77;
Record Victory: 13-0 v Blidworth Welfare, NCEL Division One, 1997-98;
Record Defeat: 10-2 v Thackley, 1984-85
FA Cup: Third Qualifying Round: 2012-13, knocked out by Boston Utd 2-0.
FA Vase: Fifth Round: 1977-78, knocked out by Frenchville Community 2-1.